Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Opinion- Green Lantern: Above and Beyond Expectations

I worried upon hearing reviews of Green Lantern. Reviews indicated it was more about Ryan Reynolds’ abs. Right from the beginning the scope of the film began with an epic intro to the Green Lantern Corps an introduction that easily introduced first timers to the Green Lantern-verse while providing a strong base for more devoted fans.
Talking about CG in a film today has become trite and the graphics in the film were excellent. My wife commented that the artists seemed obsessed with highlighting the pores and veins of the various non-human Lanterns. I argue that when you make someone twenty feet tall you’d better be sure that they look good at that size. If I could complain the thing I really missed was Nebula. I really like Nebula in my space films and more of those birth places of stars would be great.
So Green Lantern surprised me by making a character that actually transitioned from being a jerk, which Hal Jordan always seemed to be, to being an actual hero. Following the established Character arch or hero journey explained in Joseph Campbell’s book “Hero with a Thousand Faces”, Jordan transforms from brash young pilot to a responsible and if still a little mouthy hero who shows that he has the power to save the world and the galaxy.  Batman, Superman, The X-men has very little change of characters the trials of the films rarely cause the hero to become a hero and instead they continue much the same. I admit I’m a little biased after watching Superman II and in the end Clark hypnotizes Louis and the whole world went back to normal. Perhaps this works in a world that is episodic, but in a real film?
Green Lantern leaves us with enough hooks for a follow up. The Yellow ring gets made, Sinestro still doesn’t like Hal, and trouble can still raise its ugly head.  I look forward to a sequel and think if you haven’t watched Green Lantern you’re in for a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment